Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Work stuff somebody may be interested in....

I know this blog is mostly for people to see what is going on in mine and Heather's lives. I started on an adventure at work today and I thought I would share it. Most of you probably won't care (and by most I mean 1.5 of the 2 total readers we get here on this blog). Anyways, at work I run linux on my desktop and laptop. The other day, I tried to upgrade to the newest version of Ubuntu and had problems getting my 2 video cards to work (I have 2 19" monitors and 1 24"). I could get 2 working, but never all 3. This is a LOOOOOOONG standing problem with linux. After harassment from some of the guys at work, I agreed to try out a Mac for 2 weeks. I figured I would document my thoughts and findings for posterity. Here are the raving opinions of a linux guy switching to OS X for a couple weeks. I'll try to even throw in a few accurate facts occasionally. After the 2 weeks, I will post an update with my final thoughts and findings. Here are some of my thoughts after 1 day:

OS X FTW:

  • Video drivers - Video drivers just plain suck in Linux. Beyond description they suck.
  • Adium/Pidgin - Adium wins. I know Adium is a fork of pidgin, but Adium is MUCH better.
  • Apps - Having apps be self contained folders where dragging and dropping them is awesome. Every OS should implement this. apt/debs is really close, almost making it sixes, but I am going to nudge OS X here.
  • Mail/iCal - This being the pre-release of 10.6 I have exchange support in Mail/iCal. It is nice to be able to interact with Exchange correctly for once.

Linux FTW:

  • Spaces/Compiz - compiz is just as functional, easier to use and has more features.
  • Amarok/iTunes - Amarok wins. Hands down.
  • Who the @#$(@#*$ decided that Home and End shouldn't do what they have done on every OS since the beginning of time?
  • People still pay money for applications!?!
  • Adjusting from control to/from Apple Key/etc. Fewer modifier keys is a good thing (mostly my brain not rewiring, not a real problem).
  • Every OS should have 2 clipboards. Linux's highlight/middle click is AWESOME!
  • Apps are 1 icon: nice. Having your package manager update EVERY_SINGLE_PROGRAM_ON_YOUR_COMPUTER, priceless.
  • Terminal/gnome terminal - I miss my next tab shortcut – a LOT. If I could find a way to do it in OS X Terminal, it would be sixes.

Sixes:

  • Drivers in general. I am trying OS X because of video drivers in linux. OS X just works, but I only get 2 monitors (hardware limitation). I can get 2 monitors working in linux pretty easily. Dell keyboard not surprisingly unsupported in OS X.
  • gnome-do/Google QSB - Both are pretty even. If pushed to choose, I would choose gnome-do, but it is too close to matter.
  • User Interface - Sure OS X is prettier (out of the box), but I don't really care. If I did care, linux is customizable enough I can make it look EXACTLY like OS X, or even arguably better (lots of examples on the internet).

1 comment:

TJ said...

BTW, GQS bites in comparison to Quicksilver. Go get it from blacktree.com. Also Fink/Macports for the Mac will get you alot of the GNU tools ported from Linux/BSD to Mac